Quantum Software Tools Developer
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
D-Wave is looking for exceptionally motivated and bright people who love to see the impact of their work daily and who want to be a part of a ground-breaking shift in the computing industry. We are working to radically expand the limits of computers by commercializing quantum computing.
D-Wave builds systems that exploit the most fundamental forces in nature for computation. The company’s flagship product, the D-Wave 2000Q, is built around a superconducting quantum processor and is currently being used by customers such as Lockheed-Martin, NASA, Los Alamos National Lab, and Google.
We’re working hard to exploit quantum resources which are known to offer large computational speedups on some problems. The D-Wave quantum annealing computer samples from probability distributions and optimizes functions that are computationally intractable using classical hardware.
Position: Quantum Software Tools Developer
D-Wave’s Tools group is growing. We develop software tools and libraries that map the quantum benefits of D-Wave’s systems to forms that subject-matter experts and application developers can use without knowledge of quantum physics. We’re looking for insightful thinkers who are adroit with combinatorial problems, who can learn the nature and benefits of our quantum processor, and who have the software engineering expertise to turn that understanding into useful, reliable software products. Delivered performance is a key measure of our success, so we strive for fast execution in all we do. We expect to be a leader in quantum tools, so we’ll be making major innovations in interfaces and methods. We often open-source our work; for example, our release of qbsolv (github.com/DwaveSystems/qbsolv) received major positive feedback from media as diverse as Wired magazine and the Wall Street Journal.
The Software Tools group is a distributed team, led from Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN. We are looking for someone to join us at either our head office in the Vancouver, British Columbia area or the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Successful candidates will have a passion for technology, a focus on enabling customer success, a drive to improve continuously, and professional pride in their work.
- Ownership of a quantum software tool, including all phases of designing, developing, and sustaining the tool with guidance from a technical lead. This includes:
- Designing, coding and unit testing new capabilities and performance improvements.
- Analyzing and fixing reported issues.
- Working closely with technical project managers, application developers, and quantum software engineers to implement versatile solutions to difficult problems.
- Contributing to discussions about the architecture, design, performance, and implementation of the quantum tools.
- Contributing to development and execution of continuous integration, testing (both correctness and performance), and release processes with other team members.
- 2-10 years of professional software development experience throughout the full life-cycle, including conception, development, code optimization, release, support, and maintenance.
- Experience developing software to solve combinatorial problems.
- Excellent C++ and Python coding skills with a strong bias towards high quality, fast, clean, maintainable code.
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design (esp. for performance), object-oriented design, and parallel processing.
- Practical familiarity with a wide array of system capabilities for tools development (e.g., databases, distinct server processes, Jupyter notebooks, Docker).
- Strong communication and collaboration skills across technical disciplines and backgrounds (e.g. application developers, domain experts, system software developers, and physicists).
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team.
- Ability to work in a rapidly evolving environment.
Bonus skills and qualifications:
Exceptional candidates will have experience in one or more of the following:
- Experience in developing solvers for combinatorial optimization problems.
- Experience with SWIG and Python’s C API.
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms.
It is D-Wave Systems Inc policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.dwavesys.com/careers/quantum-software-tools-developer →