Jostens is growing its advanced analytics capabilities to better meet the needs of the customers, including schools, students, teachers and broadly consumers; you will play a critical role in innovating
Working across our global businesses with a strong focus in the US, this role will support strategic development and lead analytical initiatives that harness product potential across our combined businesses serving schools (yearbook, scholastic and college). Tools will be used to help drive merchandising and commercial performance (business and product line demand data, order/ship tracking, salesforce and marketing communications, account/pricing/discounting data, commission and margin reporting, contracted and projected reporting, business intelligence tracking etc.).
The role will provide business critical insights around which products to deliver, how/when/who to offer products, where to price, how to package. This should improve product performance insights, and accelerate decisions that influence offers and go to market strategies.
This role requires unusual flexibility, balancing hands-on coding and modelling (existing and new build models) on a frequent basis, in addition to mentoring/leading junior data scientists, and liaising with the broader business.
We’ll look to you to generate sound strategic insights from multiple, often complex raw data feeds, using your expert understanding of analytical and statistical data analysis techniques.
You will get the opportunity to work with new technologies, while working closely with digital, marketing, finance and business unit leaders.
Who you are
You are a “creative builder” who can develop as an individual and in collaborative setting; you always prioritize impact and focus on insights. You are motivated to bring novel data science techniques to a growing organization and lead the adoption of these methods. You are a self-starter, with a passion for building data strategies and solving business problems. You search for ways to improve things and work collaboratively with colleagues.
The base level responsibilities include informing and testing base data models, reviewing and revising data engineering (API inputs, ingestion scripts etc), running descriptive visualizations on tableau/powerBI, and importantly developing explanatory, predictive and optimized models using diverse set of methods (machine learning, Bayesian statistics, regression and advanced regressions)
The goal is to create differentiated performance via machine learning, to both automate modelling improvements, train model, and develop predictive and precise insights that far outperform traditional analytical methods.
- Undergraduate degree in the field of Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, Mathematics or a relevant Engineering discipline; Masters level degree in a quantitative discipline such as mathematics, physics, computer science or engineering. Strong mathematical and statistical analysis skills preferred, not required
- Analytics, modelling or software development experience including current coding/software development, and base data engineering skills
- Programming experience in Python and SQL, ideally with experience and understanding of using R
- Experience in statistical modelling and advanced machine learning techniques (preferably in Gaussian Processes and/or Bayesian Networks)
- Experience in presenting & communicating complex projects to non-technical teams
- Team player with a collaborative mindset, always prioritising impact for the business
- Understands big data principles and technologies with a working knowledge of data integration using established methodologies and technologies such as ETL, EAI, WebServices
- Experience in effectively sharing data between multiple systems
- Regularly communicate and share plans and activities within and outside of the technical functions and be highly adept at translating technical content into business terms (marketing, finance, general strategy)
- Employ appropriate KPI’s to measure process efficiency
- Experience leading a team preferred but not required; coaching and mentoring business analysts expected over time
- Flexible, fun working environment
- Health insurance and other benefits
- Career progression, including fast potential to lead new capability
We aim to create a workforce that is representative of our society, knowing that embracing differences enhances the capabilities of our business and makes for a happy place to work. We are proud to recognize and celebrate that we have a diverse culture where employees are accepted for who they are, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion or ability.
To apply for this job please visit newton.newtonsoftware.com.