Website University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
The Carlson School of Management’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) at the University of Minnesota is seeking an experienced Hybrid Cloud Engineer to support the development and implementation of public and hybrid cloud services for faculty and students. This is an exciting opportunity to administer and operationalize cloud services in Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Amazon Web Services (AWS). Ideal candidates will have excellent technical and interpersonal skills (elevated EQ), an ability to work with users and technologists with varying levels of experience and a strong commitment to supporting an environment of trust, collaboration, and mission-focused work.
70% Cloud and System Administration
- Provision, configure, and manage new product and service implementations, perform systems maintenance and other hardware and software changes in coordination with the senior cloud engineer.
- Serve as a system administrator and contributor for hybrid cloud implementation and ongoing operations.
- Modify installation scripts, tests, and programs to meet defined requirements set forth by instructors and researchers.
- Consult with infrastructure architects, engineers, and developers across the organization to ensure the value and flexibility of services.
- Provide recommendations to product managers, product owners and Collegiate IT leadership on technology adoption.
- Execute test plans for systems upgrades, and assist senior-level engineers on the design and implementation of classroom technology systems.
- Migrate workloads to appropriate cloud platforms.
- Work with University partners to conduct security risk assessments and develop mitigation plans.
- Participate in on-call support rotation.
- Review and refine Standard Operating Procedures in this function.
20% Cloud Support and Development for the Carlson Analytics Lab (CAL)
- Work with members of the CSOM CAL team to engage and support Live Case, Experiential Learning Projects and other partner engagements alongside the senior cloud engineer.
- Ensure technical solutions meet quality, security, and compliance requirements; work directly with key stakeholders (i.e. Faculty, students and technical teams) in Carlson school and University to ensure solutions have passed the required quality checks.
- Test and evaluate system configurations and practices to ensure optimum performance and connectivity.
10% Customer Service/Leadership/Teamwork/Communication
- Consult with customers and stakeholders to identify infrastructure system requirements and recommend technology, hardware and software, and installation plans.
- Consult with end-users and additional stakeholders to support continuous service improvement.
- Create, review and update formal written documentation for internal use by collegiate IT support team
- Utilize the University IT support ticketing system to implement and recommend process improvements, issue management, and resolutions.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of relevant experience OR a comparable combination of education, training, and experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Cloud infrastructure as code experience (e.g. Azure, AWS, Google and on-premise cloud solutions) and their associated vendor products and interdependencies.
- Demonstrated experience with DevOps practices, SQL, VDI, Windows and Linux systems
- Demonstrated experience with configuration management tools/ and or scripting languages such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt, Terraform, Python, etc.
- Demonstrated experience developing databases and integration
- Demonstrated understanding of Big Data concepts
- Knowledge of common data science related software
- Understanding network security principles, i.e. firewalls, public/private, and when to apply each
- Experience evaluating security risks and implementing technical controls that align with the needs of stakeholders (students, faculty, and clients)
- Experience with analyzing and classifying types of regulated data (FERPA, HIPAA, PCI etc.) accordingly to meet compliance and requirements.
- Excellent team collaboration skills.
- 3+ years of technology system administration experience in a Higher Education computing environment, interacting and supporting the wide ranging technology use cases of faculty, academic support staff and students.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing and actively promoting diversity.
- Demonstrated use of Big Data tools and technologies (Apache HDFS, Spark, Hive)
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to exercise discretion, confidentiality, diplomacy, and good judgment in dealing with sensitive topics and varied issues
- Ability to think calmly and rationally during a crisis, maintain poise and a professional demeanor under all circumstances.
- Friendly presence and helpful attitude; excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others at all levels of the organization.
- Select the link to access our careers site.
- Sign In to access your account or if you are not an existing user select the New User link to create one.
- Review the job description and select the Apply button to begin your application.
*If you are a current employee at the University of Minnesota, use the following link instead:
To apply for this job please visit hr.myu.umn.edu.