Cargill is committed to helping the world thrive.
The person in this roll will be the technical expert on the analytics team – responsible for connecting to data sources and performing complex analysis on that data to uncover insights that guide Cargill’s decisions. The analyst & data specialist will also lead implementation of a Corporate Affairs Data Strategy that ensures the function has the information it needs to measure progress towards meeting its goals. The emphasis is not on programming and spending large amounts of time building models. Rather, it is on tapping into data sources efficiently in order to respond quickly to a rapidly changing external environment. This person should have full knowledge of industry practices and creativity in using those skills to solve the problem at hand while working with minimal supervision.
The job requires clear, concise communication skills through both text and visualizations. A high premium will be placed on distilling and interpreting that information so people across the company can quickly grasp it and act on it. Insights must be turned around at the speed of breaking news. Because the work informs decision-making and measures the impact of what’s communicated about and by the company, it also requires a high level of accuracy and informed judgment.
40% Provide technical expertise necessary to connect Corporate Affairs to internal and external data sources:
- Serve as the lead technical expert in implementing the data & analytics manger’s Corporate Affairs Data Strategy.
- Oversee ingestion of data sources through collaboration with Cargill IT professionals, third-party contractors and vendors.
- Connect incoming data to tools that centralize dispersed data sources and expose insights to a variety of users – from novices to experts.
- Collect data through Web scraping, surveys, forms and other measures.
35% Analysis, measurement and reporting
- Use off-the-shelf tools and programming skills to uncover insights from large data sets and predict upcoming trends.
- Deliver those insights to stakeholders in a variety formats – ranging from one-sentence summaries to deep-dive studies to interactive dashboards. A high premium is placed on distilling, interpreting and visualizing information so others can quickly grasp its impact and act on it..
- Connect the dots on related news, events and issues. Recognize new developments in ongoing issues.
- Gauge the company’s reputation, identifying those who influence that reputation and assessing the company’s progress in reputation-building.
- Track information the company knows it wants over time.
- Detect and track unexpected news and events in real time.
- Detect emerging trends.
- Alert key stakeholders to new information that is business critical, could affect customer relationships or could help or harm the company’s reputation.
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders who also have a role in monitoring information.
10% Other duties as needed
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related degree or work experience, with emphasis in data analysis.
- 3 -5 years experience working on projects that involve collecting and analyzing data to surface insights and present those insights to non-technical audiences
- Experience using Web scraping, API connections, SQL queries and other methods to collect data
- Familiarity with data visualization tools like Tableau, Power BI or similar
- Proficiency in R, Python and SQL
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent analytical skills: Good at detecting patterns, identifying what’s relevant, distilling and interpreting information for others, simplifying the complex
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, writes with speed, clarity and simplicity
- Requires occasional work outside of normal business hours
- Minimum travel required
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or Business Analytics
- 5 – 7 years experience working on projects that collect and analyze data to surface insights and present those insights to non-technical audiences
- In-depth knowledge of databases and Hadoop
- Experience working in a cloud environment, such as Amazon Web Services
- Experience working with GIS tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, CartoDB or similar
- Experience working with social network mapping tools like Gephi, NodeXL or similar
- Knowledge of various modeling algorithms e.g. Linear, GLMs, trees based models, neural networks, clustering, PCA, and time series models.
- Experience in a large, complex, global organization
To apply for this job please visit cargill.taleo.net.