Minnesota Twins LLC
The Minnesota Twins Baseball Club is looking to add an Analyst to the Core Research group within the Baseball Research Department. The Baseball Research Department enables the organization to leverage data, analytics, and classical research techniques to identify and develop players who will contribute to the long term on-field success of the Minnesota Twins. Within Baseball Research there are subgroups focused on collaboration with specific domains of baseball operations (Player Development, Scouting, and Sports Science). In conjunction with these subgroups, the Core Research group is focused on systematic use cases of all manner of baseball data by creating production-scale features and machine learning models to describe and project player performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create Machine Learning models to describe and predict actions on the baseball field and the trajectories of player careers.
- Models don’t end at training – create appropriate visuals, interactions, documentation, and as-needed explanations to enable understanding and confidence in your model behavior
- Identify opportunities for new applications of baseball data – define and create processes to bring them to life.
- Work with other groups within Baseball Research to convert ad-hoc and experimental research studies into production caliber analytical tools.
- Collaborate with baseball operations personnel outside of Baseball Research to promote understanding, explanation, and appropriate levels of trust in analytical products.
- Participate in project design, methodological assessment, and code review alongside other analysts in Baseball Research.
Interrogate, test, and otherwise challenge the quality of existing models with an eye toward continuous improvement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 1 – 4 years of prior job experience as a data scientist, data analyst, or in a similar role.
Facility with modern machine learning techniques such as deep learning, ensemble-based methods, and Bayesian modeling.
- Understanding of statistical concepts and how they apply to the strengths and limitations of different types of models.
- Comfort writing and reviewing code (R or Python most frequently) with version control (git).
- Experience defining requirements for analytical products and putting them into production.
- Familiarity with the principles of operations as it pertains to the analytical ecosystem (DevOps, ML Ops, Data Ops, etc.).
- Writing operational analytical pipelines potentially including feature engineering, model training, testing, and deployment.
- Possess at least fan-level knowledge and engagement with baseball and baseball analytics.
For the duties and experiences listed above- we expect the chosen candidate will fulfill some, not all. Candidates with different levels of fulfillment will still be just as strongly considered.
All applicants for employment with the Minnesota Twins are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of fully-vaccinated status prior to their first day of employment. If you have any questions regarding this requirement, your vaccination status or reasonable accommodation requests, please contact HR.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.