We’re changing the way health care works for the better. That means consulting with our members, partnering with our physicians, and delivering drugs in the most efficient and effective way. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.
The Advanced Analytics Lab within Optum Payment Integrity is expanding. We are looking for experienced Data Scientists to join this growing team. This individual will be responsible on the development and delivery of large and complex predictive modeling projects for healthcare Payment Integrity processes. Principal Data Scientist develops innovative and effective approaches to solve client’s analytics problems and communicates results and methodologies. Principal Data Scientist also provides directions and guidelines to Senior Data Scientists and Data Scientists to discover business insights, identifies opportunities, and provides solutions and recommendations to solve business problems through the use of statistical, algorithmic, data mining and visualization techniques. In addition to advanced analytic skills, Principal Data Scientist is also proficient at integrating and preparing large, varied datasets, architecting specialized database and computing environments, and communicating results.
- Apply advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on multiple predictive detection engines in Advanced Analytics Labs
- Lead discovery processes with Senior Data Scientists and Data Scientists and partner with Payment Integrity Operations to identify the business requirements and the expected outcome
- Create and provide sound statistical analyses and frame business scenarios that are meaningful and which impact on critical business processes and/or decisions
- Collaborates with the data steward to gather information to be used for analytics and predictive model building purpose and to ensure the data meets the qualification and assurance requirements of the analyses
- Design sampling methodology, prepare data, including data cleaning, univariate analysis, missing value imputation, etc., identify appropriate analytic and statistical methodology, develop predictive models and document process and results
- Communicate analytics results and predictive models to business partners and clients
- Provide on-going tracking and monitoring of performance of statistical models and recommend ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that lead to findings, including new information
- Recommends ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that lead to findings, including new information
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in (bio) statistics, applied statistics, applied mathematics, economics, or similar quantitative fields of study
- 7+ years of experience of hands-on modeling skills and strong analytic programming skills using SAS tools, including SAS/BASE, SAS/STAT, and SAS Enterprise Guide, R and / or Python
- 7+ years of experience manipulating large datasets and using databases
- Knowledge of ensemble modeling, ANN, SVM, Random Forests, SOMs
- Self-motivated, capable to grasp analytical concepts and clearly understand how analytical solutions can help customers reduce their healthcare claim costs
- Demonstrable ability to quickly understand new concepts – all the way down to the theorems – and to come out with original solutions to mathematical issues
- Commercial Experience
- SAS Enterprise Miner
- Experience with Python, Hadoop (MapReduce, PIG, Hive, Spark), R, H2O, or equivalent.
- Experience with health care claims data and Payment Integrity processes
- UI design experience for automated and-or end-user-interactive visualizations, displays or reports based on the models’ outcomes (for example using Tableau)
- Working knowledge and understanding of medical coding, including ICD, CPT, DRG, etc.
To apply for this job please visit careers.unitedhealthgroup.com.