The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Analyst to help advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision — every human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge — as well as its strategic direction — that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
As a Senior Analyst, you will be part of the Global Data & Insights team in the Technology Department. The role of the Global Data & Insights team is to support Wikimedia Foundation staff in using data to learn from their work and improve decisions. Reporting to the Business Intelligence Manager, you will define critical metrics to measure organizational effectiveness and support the internal evaluation of the organization’s key capacity-building activities through analysis, reporting, insights generation, and the development of data tools using both Foundation data and Movement data.
You are responsible for:
- Synthesizing data from multiple sources to provide insight into program impact and progress
- Leading efforts to identify and define key metrics for measuring progress against organizational and project goals
- Collaborating across departments, including with technology, product, and business teams to ensure that data collection and calculation of metrics are appropriately implemented
- Identifying actionable insights from trends and themes across datasets to inform reports and decision-making
- Communicating data insights clearly to a range of departmental, organisational, volunteer, and public stakeholders
- Leading the creation and maintenance of internal data dashboards using Apache Superset or Google Data Studio
Skills and Experience:
- Fluent in English
- Bachelor’s degree and five years related experience or a Master’s degree and at least three years related experience; or equivalent advanced work experience in data analysis, data science, research and analytics or a related field
- Applied statistics training and experience
- Advanced data extraction, cleaning, coding, and data visualization training and experience
- Ability to address problems of diverse scope using good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions and optimizing for efficiency as well as quality
- Experience with or exposure to ethical data management and privacy practices
- Proven experience with programming languages, particularly SQL and either R or Python
- Attention to detail and the ability to work systematically to ensure accuracy and quality
- Advanced experience using Google Suite, particularly Google Sheets, Google Docs and Google Slides
Qualities that are important to us:
- The ability to problem solve and to learn and apply new technologies
- The ability to flourish in a highly transparent and collaborative environment
- Verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate complex technical information to a variety of audiences
- A track record of effective communication with diverse cultural and language communities
- Proven ability to adhere to deadlines and to seek out learning and support
- Interest in or knowledge of Wikimedia projects, the free knowledge movement, global education and/or international development
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Strong value and mission fit with the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience with open-source tools
- Experience using Apache Hive and/or Apache Superset
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
To apply for this job please visit grnh.se.